Blog Archive Acrylic paints|Experiments My first swap acrylic paint experiment!

My first swap acrylic paint experiment!

Welcome to my first swap acrylic paint experiment.

Honestly, I had products that I didn't know how I need to use them exactly, so I decided to make my own experiment and measure what and how much I use. I think it will be useful not only for me but for people who like to experiment and try new things.

I am living in Belgium and I am originally from Lithuania. My English is still improving and I am learning the Dutch language meanwhile but buying products or trying to explain what I need in the art shops is still difficult. And apparently there not everyone understands my English even if I show video and pictures what I want to try, people who work there just do not understand me. In any case, I decided to stick with my plan and do the experiment myself with things I have and see how it works.

I am super excited. I like to experiment and try new things! It is like food for my brains.

In this experiment am expecting to create cells with a swapping technique. I do not mix the basic color with any media except water. For this experiment, I am using a white base. I will mix 200ml white paint (Amsterdam acrylic titanium white 105) with 70ml distilled water.
The canvas that I am using today is academic canvas, 18x13cm. I did not use any gesso to protect and prepare these canvas surfaces, but all my paintings have a base of gesso before applying any paints on it. And I let it dry for 24hours before I will apply paints. But today I am doing an experiment.

So let's keep it simple and let's get started!

1st experiment

I mix 20 ml GOLDEN Color pouring medium matte with 10ml of each color. I use violet, blue, orange, yellow colors. After that, I add 10ml of water.
After I mixed the paints well, I apply corners and half of my canvas with white base color and on the other side I layer the paints, then I swap colors through the white paint.

Result:
The paintings produced fewer cells then I was expecting and there was to much paint. In my 2nd try, I put less paint, but still, I was not happy with a result as there were just a few cells.

2nd experiment

I mix 30 ml GOLDEN Color pouring medium matte with 10ml of each color. I use violet, blue, orange, yellow colors. After that, I add 10ml of water and 3 drops of Vosschemie silicone verdunner fluid.
After I mixed the paints well, I apply corners and half of my canvas with white base color and on the other side I layer the paints, then I swap colors through the white paint.

Result:
The paintings produced a bit more cells and created a new cracking effect on canvas that I was not expecting! As I like creating abstract paintings I see where this cracking technique I could use in my future projects. I absolutely love this effect and I am already happy that I started experimenting on my own, but still I would like to get more cells.
Let's jump to the next experiment!

3rd experiment

I mix 40 ml GOLDEN Color pouring medium matte with 10ml of each color. I use violet, blue, orange, yellow colors. After that, I add 15ml of water, 3 drops of Vosschemie silicone verdunner fluid and 10ml of GOLDEN GAC 800.
After I mixed the paints well, I apply corners and half of my canvas with white base color and on the other side I layer the paints, then I swap colors through the white paint.

Result:
Finally, I got what I was going for, more more cells! I got a beautiful layout of colors and cells. Love it!

I am looking forward to creating more paintings with these techniques.